Thursday 29 March 2012

Sunshine Superman

Another glorious day in this weird run of March summer heat. In the morning I found myself trimming hedges and pruning trees in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt. Then I sat on the decking out the back reading a book and drinking tea. These are my favourite sort of sunny days, with kids at school and most people at work. There's no escaping the traffic that runs up and down the back road but you forget it after awhile. I watched the delicate buds begin to emerge on the birch saplings outside and listened to the crows bicker and squabble as they build nests on the big fir trees across the road. Even the old cat, who rarely emerges from his spot on the settee these days, was content to warm himself in the sun for awhile and doze in his favourite pot of bamboo. As I write he's just come in the back door, looking at me and grumbling for food as always.

Quite the lazy summers day all told, even if it actually happens to be March, but you can feel a hint of chill when out of the sun and some high white clouds have started to intrude on the clear blue skies of the last week. By Saturday we're supposed to be back to the seasonal norm of 10 degrees, but really why complain as its been such a bonus. What retirement is supossed to be all about really.

Yesterday I renewed my membership up at Jim's Gym for another year. In fact for 13 months as I managed to talk the lad Graham into giving me an additional month as if I was a new member. He told me a lot of people let there membership run out and then, a few weeks later re-apply for a new one so that they get the extra month. Worth remembering for next year. Cost me £475, including an additional 10% discount, but that works out only £36 quid a month for 13 months, so no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment