Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Spring that Summer forgot

What an amazing few days its been. On the first day of Spring, 25 March, Summer just decided to muscle straight in and give us an unexpected, not to say surreal, treat. I mean there's still barely a leaf on the trees for gods sake, with just a few buds disobeying their own body-clocks and peeking out in blinking surprise. Not a cloud in the sky, temperatures nearing 70 and shorts and tee-shirts dragged smelly and sleepy from the bottom of drawers. Four days later and its still with us, Trust me, we'll be lucky to see this in high summer, when one fine day is usually followed by a dreadful other.

Had my usual post-budget conflab with my financial adviser Keli at Nationwide. Sorted out ISA's, making sure that almost all my portfolio savings are now free of corporation tax. Was prepared to invest further but she told me I should use an upcoming bond closure to pay off my share of the mortgage. I've thought of this many times before but always backed away from it because I simply don't want to blow nearly £20k. But she's made me think about it again. Why spend over £1500 a year on a mortgage if I don't have to basically. Then again, why blow nearly £20k?

The next day I was in Edinburger again to get my teeth sorted. Had thought this would be a final treatment for the time being, but not a bit of it. Mr Anderson (I always think of him like Agent Smith's pronounciation from The Matrix: 'Mrrr Andersooon....') wants to fight to keep a tooth and this will require two further sessions in May. Still, saved from paying the bill.

Wandered around the sun-baked, skimpy-dressed streets after that, all flesh and sunglasses, still shaking my head at the weirdness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment